Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dear Dad Book

Funny how things happen--When my Dad passed away this past year in October, my sister Nickie bought me a book for Christmas, (the one above) Dear Dad: Father, Friend Hero by Bradley Trevor Greive. I flipped through the pages and tossed it into my backpack to read at another time.
The book stayed in my backpack for several months and just when I think I would have some time to get it out and read it, something would happen and I would never get to read the book.
Well today, I came home after playing some racquetball and tossed my backpack off my shoulder and the Dear Dad book popped out of the bag and landed on the floor in front of me. I figured it was time for me to read the book.
The author, Bradley Trevor Greive is from Australia and has written several books, including one entitled Dear Mom. I enjoyed the pictures, all of animals with their babies or shown to be feeding or raising their young ones, and the short expressions that only a father-son can communicate in their own way. Bradley wrote some very true words that made alot of sense.
Of course the book reminded me of many great memories between my Dad and I growing up. I never realized how much my Mom and Dad's life changed once I was born and then my brothers and sisters followed.
I understand now that I was being raised in the shadow of my father's greatness and wisdom as he guided me through childhood. I wonder if my Dad will ever know how grateful I am for all he did, I hope he was as proud of me as I was of him.My Dad, my friend, my hero, my father.
I love you Dad.

p.s. thanks for the book Nickie :-)

No comments: